Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Reflection on Oral Presentation (Post #5)

Seeing everyone smiled yesterday after the presentation has been a heartfelt moment. We smiled as we said “ yeah, it ‘s all over!” . We smiled as we knew we have done our best even though it was not perfect. Most importantly, we smiled out of the gratitude that we were given a chance to do something different from what we did before – writing a proposal and making people believe in it.
 
Reflecting on the OP, the first thing I would say is that Liberty was such a good combination of members. We all come from various faculties (Science, Engineering and Art) .Moreover, each of us possessed different talent and personalities that compensated each other’s weakness. Min was a natural team leader, straightforward and aggressive who brought a vibe of dynamic into the team. She would alarm us as we tended to divert from our main points. Shweta was pleasant, creative individual who usually brought up suggestions as we were stuck with a problematic issue. Dinh was a good listener and an IT expert who saved the three girls from the computer disaster. I was taken by surprised how well we got along with each other despite our diverse cultural background and how responsible everyone was, from responding the messages on face book to finishing one’s part on time. It was obvious that everyone put a serious effort into it and the presentation has been a wonderful piece of teamwork.
I guess being able to do that, the classroom culture which promoted constructive criticism, active listening and fostering intercultural communication more or less had a vital impact. Those EQ values that we listened and discussed in classroom have penetrated into our minds and changed the way we interacted with each other to some extent.
Personally, I was satisfied with what I did during the presentation.I practised before the presentation many times to resonate with the content and be able to get used to the layout of points that I needed to cover.Probably thanks to that, I was able to present naturally without referring to the slides so often.In order to mentally prepare for the presentation, I told myself it was not about how well I have to perform in front of other. Nevertheless,I took it simply as a chance to share my thoughts with my classmates and confidently persuade them in what I truly believe in. Honestly,there were times when I was too emotionally involved that I sidetracked from the main points, I guess my presentation should have been more concise and shorter to bring about a greater impact to the audiences
However, when I look back on this OP in the future, I would not remember much of the moment that we were up there presenting our ideas. Rather, I would remember the journey that we all have gone through as a team to achieve a common goal. It was the first heated team discussion to negotiate the topic of our proposal , the peer feedbacks, the first online meeting on Google which we took a while to figure how to use it, the very different perspectives that we always brought into group discussions, the serious rehearsals when Dinh was painfully glued to his script, and of course all the laughter and stress induced as we were walking through different phases of the project etc…that I would cherish the most. I like it because it was a learning process from which we had fun making mistakes and learn how to improve them by listening to other’s feedbacks. Through this process, I felt that I have enjoyed and learnt a lot from it .
 
This experience was a remarkable one that I will bring with me in my future endeavors.
 



 
ES2007S - Nov 2012  

7 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,
    Interesting to read about how you worked together as a group and supplemented each other! And your group did a really great job! Very good presentation! It was very hard to find something to comment and ask because you already covered everything.

    However, I think this blogpost are meant to be more of a reflection on your own presentation. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

    Well done with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heather

    I had fun reading your 'behind the scenes' aspect of your presentation/proposal prep, showed me that you guys really worked as a team.

    You sounded like you had a genuine interest in the topic. At one point, it felt like you sounded really personal, like you were really trying to convince us about why having a sleeping room was so super duper important. Not sure if it was faking or real, but either way it was good because you pulled it off! You also had great body language, I liked the way you used your arms and hands to emphasize your points. (like pointing to the slides)You were also very smooth as you didn't hesitate or stumble at all!

    I felt your presentation was a tad too long though, but other than that you did a brilliant job. i have much to learn from you!

    I would like to hear more about your own evaluation of your presentation though.
    Patrick is right i think, its suppose to be a reflection of your own presentation!

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather,

    It is enjoyable reading your blog post. :) It was sincere and I loved the flow within the post.

    I enjoyed your presentation. Although It contained a lot of scientific data but it did not make the audience confused at all. In addition, the proposal was delivered clearly and completely and it engaged the audience quite well. Guess why? Because Liberty is such a good team with excellent presenters. You can engage the audience and express your enthusiasm very well. I felt that you did care the audience about his/her health, which made me want to accept your proposal (but since I am not the authority, I cannot).

    It was nice seeing you presenting. I hope I can see it again. Perhaps, at the meditation center? When I have free time, I will make sure to go with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather,

    A very well written post about your feelings on the Oral Presentation. I especially agree on your point that five or ten years down the lane, we would probably not remember the details of this presentation. What we would remember is the process of our learning experience and how we all clicked together despite being from different academic and cultural backgrounds.

    I clearly recall that everyone appreciated your amazing performance during the mock presentation. You seemed very passionate about the topic, and did a great job in keeping the audience engaged. I could see the same charisma for the final presentation as well. You maintained your energy levels, and kept up with everyone's expectations. I could definitely learn a lot from your skill set.

    Good luck to you for the future presentations as well!

    Nirav

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Patrick and Gwen,

    Thank you for your evaluation. I have just added a small reflection on my own presentation as per your advices.cheers!

    Dear all,

    Thank you for your positive comments on the presentation. I guess one of the main reasons is that this is the topic that I am passionate about.Personally,I understand the ultimate importance of daily relfection and relaxation. Without stopping for moment to reflect, one would eventually become the mass product of society; he/she may seems to be busy running in the rat-race, but nothing in him/her is trully authentic.Without constant relflection,one will habitually repeat the same mistakes over again,not even aware of that.he/she eventually may not be able to go far and achieve success in life.The rationle of sleeping room has much in alignment with the above-mentioned.We students somtimes are too overwhelmed with academic busy-ness that we tend to ignore the body and loose track of what we exactly want to do....This issue has been bothering me for a while and it really generates a lot of my personal thoughts.



    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heather,
    Congratulation! You did a good job this final oral presentation. You know your points well and you presented without referring to any notes or the slides which allow the audience to focus on you and what you were saying. You were also engaging as you were asking questions and interacting with the audience. You also showed enthusiasm in your topic which is very good as it shows that you believe in what you are saying and it made your speech more convincing. Overall, it is a really good presentation in my opinion. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete